Have you ever been in a room that was expertly painted, exquisitely furnished, and well appointed – but it didn’t have draperies? Somehow the room feels incomplete; there’s something about draperies that give a room unity, harmony, and warmth. I tend to think of draperies as a décor item, but truthfully draperies serve a much bigger purpose. In addition to décor, draperies provide privacy and help with temperature control, sunlight control, and soundproofing.
If you are like me, it took you forever to find just the right draperies for your living room, and honestly, they came with a fairly significant cost. After they were hung, I stood back and admired my purchase and then moved on to the next thing. Who really gives their draperies much thought? But you should. Draperies are exposed to all kinds of conditions every single day:
- Sunlight – which can cause discoloration and weaken the fabric
- Moisture – humidity, leaks, or condensation can cause dye bleeding and water rings
- Odors – cooking fumes and smoke tend to deposit on the fabric
- Dust – dust and airborne particles land on drapes causing fading and discoloration
To lengthen the life of your drapes, we suggest the following:
- Regularly vacuum your drapes with a soft-bristled attachment, which will remove surface dust that has settled on your draperies.
- Have your window treatments and draperies professionally cleaned every 2-3 years, depending on their environment.
One additional piece of information to consider. Manufacturing industry standards allow 2-4% shrinkage in household fabrics, which could prove to be significant on floor-length draperies and may not occur on separate linings.
If your drapes are in need of some special attention, simply drop them off at one of our locations and let us take a look at them. And of course, if you ever have questions or need help, please call one of our stores and speak with a manager.