Posted on September 30, 2015
British actor, Martin Freeman once said: “I’ve never been to a festival. I’m a creature of habit, mashed-potato comfort, I like rugs…..” I like rugs too – a beautiful rug on hardwood floors can be almost like a painting – and the centerpiece of a room. A good quality rug is a substantial investment, so you want to be sure to keep it in prime condition, and vacuuming alone isn’t enough.
Here are things that you can do to keep your beautiful rug looking beautiful for a long time to come:
- Every rug deserves a good quality rug pad. Not only will it protect the floors underneath your rug, it will also prolong the life and beauty of your rug.
- Protect your rug from excessive wear, fading, and sun damage by both rotating it annually and by using window coverings to limit sun exposure.
- Never place potted plants directly on your rug.
- Vacuum your rug regularly to remove abrasive dirt, allergens, dust mites, and hair using a CRI-approved vacuum cleaner. Use caution when caring for the fringe. Be sure to lift the edges of the rug up to clean underneath the fringe, and never use an upright vacuum cleaner to remove dirt from the fringe.
- Leave your shoes at the door. This simply prevents dirt from getting any further than the front or back door.
- Clean all spills quickly. Begin by blotting the spill with a clean, white cloth to keep it from spreading. Lift the rug up and again blot the area to keep it from seeping through to the backing. Then call a professional rug cleaner to ensure there is no permanent damage.
- Finally, have your rugs professional cleaned every 12-18 months and possibly more often if you have pets.
At Shores, we use an exclusive 6-step process when caring for home rugs. If your area rug is in need of special attention, contact your nearest Shores location. You can drop it off, or if it is more convenient, we’ll be glad to stop by and pick it up for you.