Posted on September 28, 2014
Cooler weather is approaching, and that means it is time to start transitioning your closet. If you plan to store your out of season garments at home, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Be sure to clean everything before placing it in storage. Even if it looks clean body oils, perspiration, and invisible stains are there and will attract moths and other insects.
- Sew buttons, fix hems, and make repairs on all your garments before placing them in storage.
- Never hang knit items. This will cause them to stretch, leaving them out of shape for next season. Place folded garments in large plastic containers with air-tight lids.
- Hang suits and coats on cedar hangers and store them in garment bags. Use hangers with wider bars to prevent creases at the knees.
- Adding cedar chips or lavender sachets will keep your garments smelling fresh.
- Don’t use our poly bags for long-term storage. They are designed for short-term protection only. Long-term use will suffocate your clothes and possibly cause staining or mildew issues.
- Be sure to store your clothing in a cool, dry, clean place. Avoid storing clothes in a cold basement or hot attic. The extreme temperatures could damage your garments.
- Count your garments, make an inventory list, and determine a value for each item.
- Note decorative trims, particularly suede and leather, as these can dry out and crack if not cold vault stored. Other trims may not be dry cleanable and cannot be stored until properly cleaned.
- When you drop off your clothes, give us a copy of your list and point out any stains.
- We will also make an inventory list and then inspect, spot, clean, and lightly finish each garment.
- After your clothes are clean, we will either fold or hang your items as needed.
- They will then be placed in a specially sealed, UV light proof bag infused with cedar oil until you are ready for them.
- Both storage and insurance are free. You only pay the regular cleaning charges at pick up.
- Call us a week before you are ready to pick up your clothes. We will take the clothes out of storage and refinish, inspect, and package them like a regular dry cleaning order.
The only thing left to do is to enjoy that extra closet space. Please contact us if you have any questions about storing garments. We are here to help.