Posted on February 19, 2020
This is one of those questions we are often asked, and unfortunately, it doesn’t come with a quick and easy answer. The general guideline is after 2-3 wears, but in order to give you a complete answer, we’d need to ask you these questions:
- How long did you wear your suit?
- What was the weather?
- Where did you wear your suit?
- Did you take public transportation?
- Did you eat a meal while wearing it?
- Did you drop or spill something on it?
How often you need to clean your suit really depends on all these factors. For instance, if you put on a freshly cleaned suit and wear it only 4 hours on a super-hot day, take public transportation, visit a restaurant with strong smells, and spill something on it, you really need to have it cleaned again before putting it away. Likewise, you could get 3-4 full day wears if you simply wore it in a mild climate, at the office, and didn’t spill anything on it. But there are more buts.
Below is a specific list of do’s and don’ts for caring for your suit :
- Never store your suit in the plastic dry cleaning bag; these bags are only designed to protect your suit until you get it home.
- When you put your suit in the closet, cover the shoulders with a paper or cloth dust cover.
- Store your suit on a good quality wooden suit hanger or on a strut hanger with shoulder guards so that the suit doesn’t become misshapen.
- If your suit doesn’t need to be cleaned after wearing it, make sure to empty the pockets and remove the belt before hanging it up.
- Immediately hang up your suit after wearing it.
- Never put your suit in the closet if it is damp; allow it to dry first.
- If you do spill something on your suit, it is best to have it cleaned right away. Stains get worse and more difficult to remove with time.
- If you wore your suit for a short period of time and it looks clean, but you aren’t going to wear it again for a while, go head and have it cleaned. Insects are attracted to and feed on the dirt and body oils on clothes.
- Be sure to clean all pieces together to ensure a uniform appearance.